Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Party


I love living in downtown Austin. Every spring we are the host city to South by Southwest (SXSW), a huuuuuge convergence of interactive, film, and music professionals and one of the largest conventions in the state. As the host city, we get to partake in thousands of free events--free live music, free parties, and free schwag.


On Sunday, March 9, Etsy was here to host an event called the People Powered Party at the Tap Room. I knew I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to "hang" with Etsy, as well as the other hosts--Moo and Threadless. The party started at 9 pm, but the line probably started before 8 pm. By 8:45, it was down the sidewalk and starting to wriggle around the corner. I wasn't sure if it was an indication of the hosts' popularity or the event notices mentioning free drinks.


My companions and I found a great spot for people watching and let the night happen. I left some of my handcrafted etsy flyers in the ladies restroom, which was eventually taken over by the men who didn't want to wait in line for the men's bathroom. (Grr!) As the night progressed we were tagged with meta tags (descriptive stickers), given Moo samplers, and met Etsy's very cool communications director, Matt. We passed out a lot of business cards and had a great time. I'll be looking forward to Etsy events each year as SXSW rolls into town.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I am SO jealous of where you live! It must be so inspiring to live in such a place.

Callooh Callay said...

What fun! Except I've never heard about men taking over the ladies' room--it's usually the other way around because the women's line is so long. Yep, Austin is cool.